My Family

My Family
This is my family minus Jeremy. He lives in California. As my son Joshua (the one in camo) said, "Aren't we a good looking bunch"!!! Yes we are!!!
CURRENT MOON

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Music

Growing up in a small rural town in Southern MO (Where The Ozarks Meets The Plains) as an only child, I loved my music. I had to find things that would keep me occupied and gave me pleasure. Writing, drawing, listening to music, hiking, riding my bicycle, doing puzzles. Those were things that kept me entertained. I wasn't much of a book reader even though I loved to go to the library and look at all the books. Plus I loved the bookmobile when it would drive from town to town. Osceola had the county library, we didn't have satellite libraries like they do now. Loved the smell and still do of the library. Isn't it funny how different scents bring you to different places in your life.

I was looking on Facebook tonight and saw that Janis Joplin died 42 years ago today. I was 14 years old and I can remember what I was doing when I heard about her death. I was sitting in my bedroom listening to the music on the radio. We could get the signal from Chicago Illinois, WGN. We could also get the one in Little Rock Arkansas, Beaker Street, the underground radio station KAAY. I would sit and listen to both those stations and one of them had announced that Janis Joplin was dead. I remember that like it was yesterday. The following year I got bought her album Pearl and I played that over and over and over. I loved my music and I loved the bluesy, folksy sound that she had. I always thought, if she could make it big with her voice there was no reason why I couldn't. I am by no means a star of any show but when I sing, I bellow it out like she did.

I worked for my own money and was able to buy what I wanted, and I always bought 45's or albums when I got paid. I loved my music. I also bought my share of posters as well. See, I started working when I was 14. If I didn't work the summer youth program in Lowry I worked the restaurant in Osceola. I always had money to spend on things I wanted. Mom made sure I had clothes and was taken care of in that way but anything extra I had to pay for. I had a ton load of albums and such. Had them for quite sometime until a time I was moving from Indianapolis back to Kansas City area. Me and the guy I was living with got about to St. Louis and he said, did you remember the albums and 45's. My heart sunk, I had forgotten to put them in the truck. We always moved in a fly by night style and usually had a 2-3 bedroom place. One of the bedrooms was fixed up with the stereo and seating to sit around and listen to the music. I remember to this day where those albums were, and am sure the landladies son took advantage of a wealth of albums.

Love my music, Southern rock and blues are my favorites. I also like the other music from my era, but those were my favorites. My husband loves the Beatles and you ask him anything about them and he can tell you the book that Mark Chapman was reading when he shot John Lennon. Well, I love them too but nothing like the Rolling Stones. Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Beast of Burden, Anybody Seen My Baby....list goes on. Then give me my man Eric Clapton, give me Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Domino's. You can't get much better than him, unless it would be Carlos Santana. Those two could sit and play their guitars for me all night long, even though Carlos is not blues, I love his music.

Sitting here, I am thinking about Steve Winwood, Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull, Dr. Hook back when it was Sylvia's Mother, Black Oak Arkansas with Uncle Elijah and When Electricity Comes to Arkansas, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Heart. Yeah, I love my old rock music. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of other music I love Janis Joplin's tribute poster just brought all this music to mind.

Well, better sign off. I talked to Terry today and they took Patty to the hospital in Kansas City. Her hemoglobin is low and they are going to give her some transfusions. Keep lifting her up guys, she is a Christian and I am so happy for that. Thank you and I love you guys. Talk to you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment