Well, another month down and 3 more to go before the end of the year. Then we are looking at 2013. Never dawned on me while I was growing up that I would be living in this time, let alone it would be the 2000's before I would age and my life would end during this era. Hoping to see the 2040's, I will be in my 90's during that time frame.
Had a wonderful day. My friends John and Paula Foster came down to pick up some Iris' that I had dug up. John was in my class and we grew up together where Paula came to Lowry at a later time in her life but still went to school in Lowry. She was younger than us and I remember her, just didn't hang with her because she was younger.
It was good to sit and laugh with friends. Heck I got an opportunity to do that not only on Saturday but Sunday afternoon too. I am a blessed person. Plus got to talk to Brandon this morning too. He's still doing good and looks good too. I had their time wrong, I thought he was 13 hours ahead of us, well he's behind us. It is 6:22pm Sunday night here and it is 13 hours behind us. Oh well, I'm still confused. Don't take much.
I have a bunch of friends at the United States Conference on AIDS at the Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas Nevada right now. The National Minority AIDS Council is the group that puts this on each year. Twenty five years ago today a meeting was formed in a trailer park behind Circus Circus because The American Public Health Association had held its first session on AIDS and failed to include any people of color on its panel. Leaders from various minority communities across the country came together to discuss about the challenges this epidemic posed for them.
Magic Johnson and Wendy Williams spoke today. This conference is focused on the National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States that President Obama implemented July 2010. If you have an opportunity look it up on line and read it, it is really thought provoking and makes me love our President just a little bit more. He is trying to do some awesome work and he has shown some great advancements with this subject as well.
According to this strategy there are three critical steps that will help reduce HIV infections are:
- Intensify HIV prevention efforts in communities where HIV is most heavily concentrated.
- Expand targeted efforts to prevent HIV infection using a combination of effective, evidence-based approaches.
- Educate all Americans about the threat of HIV and how to prevent it.
Prevention messages are one of the many targets that President Obama wants to us to hit. Faith based communities are an area that needs to be impacted, especially in the Midwest. Churches need to have AIDS Awareness outreaches and need to be trained for education and prevention messages to be delivered. If anyone is interested in information let me know.
Well, I am signing off of here. I am tired and I could ramble for hours about this subject. Love you guys and will talk tomorrow.


No comments:
Post a Comment