My Family

My Family
This is my family minus Jeremy. He lives in California. As my son Joshua (the one in camo) said, "Aren't we a good looking bunch"!!! Yes we are!!!
CURRENT MOON

Thursday, July 26, 2012

It just makes me sad!!!

The rains finally fell and we are seeing a little relief today. Terry said that they received a little over an inch of rain which is more than we've gotten in at least 3 months. Temps are around 95* and it is cooler than the 106* weather we had yesterday. This weather is so brutal but we aren't use to this kind of weather, so it is worse on us. My friend in the Kansas City area, her mailman died in her front yard from a heat stroke. Man, that is something else!!!

I've been a little melancholy this week upon hearing the news that the current-events magazine Weekly Reader has retired and no longer will be a classroom fixture. The news said that the Weekly Reader has been in circulation since 1928. I can remember as a little girl, I couldn't wait to get my Weekly Reader. I loved it and had forgotten about it until I heard the news on the radio this week. Josh got the little magazine too while he was in grade school but I don't remember him getting that many. Of course they were probably crumbled up and shoved to the back of his desk along with all his other papers and homework. Oh well, good bye Weekly Reader, I loved you so.

Last night on the news in St. Louis they were reporting that the Mississippi River is so low that the barge's are not running at full capacity, they are carrying half the freight that they usually haul and that in Memphis they are checking the barge's and making sure they can make it down or up the river. Someone was saying this morning at breakfast that they heard that the river 50' below what it usually is. I know when I went over the Missouri River bridge I couldn't believe how low the Missouri River is now. It's something else.

Well, I'm outta here. I'm tired, of course. Talk later.

2 comments:

  1. I used to walk 1/4 mile to the mailbox on the day my weekly reader was suppose to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up hill both ways, barefoot, in the snow???

      Delete