My Family

My Family
This is my family minus Jeremy. He lives in California. As my son Joshua (the one in camo) said, "Aren't we a good looking bunch"!!! Yes we are!!!
CURRENT MOON

Friday, November 2, 2012

When I Retire.

When I retire I want to find a job doing something that brings peace to my soul. Something I love more than words can explain. It is something that I can do and cannot think of anything else or anywhere else in the world I would want to be. Today I was looking at some jobs and boom. This one hit me. This is what I want to work at the rest of my life after I retire from the State.

Kansas City Community Gardens, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, has an opening for a Garden Assistant. KCCG assists low-income persons and community organizations in the metropolitan area to produce food from garden plots located in backyards, vacant lots, and at community sites. The Beanstalk Garden, located at KCCG, is a field trip destination for school children, homeschool groups and families around the metro area. Visitors to the Beanstalk learn about how plants grow, are able to harvest and eat whatever produce is in season, and have the opportunity to explore a variety of different curiosity plants throughout the garden.

Position Description: The Garden Assistant will work alongside The Beanstalk Education Coordinator and under the leadership of the Executive Director. The Garden Assistant will assist with planting and caring for seedling transplants in KCCG’s greenhouse and will ensure that the Beanstalk Garden is well maintained. Responsibilities Responsibilities:
1. Help plant and care for greenhouse seedling transplants
• Oversee the seeding schedule
• Coordinate staff and volunteers to assist with seeding
• Assist with thinning, watering and weeding transplants
• Pack and label transplants for sale.
• Ensure greenhouse is neat and well organized

2. Coordinate the planting and maintenance of the Beanstalk Garden
• Help research, select and order seeds and plants for the Beanstalk Garden
• Assist with shopping for seeds and plants and planting them
• Oversee watering, weeding and mulching
• Communicate maintenance needs for interns and volunteers

3. Assist with Beanstalk Garden tours and events
• Conduct tours
• Ensure gardens are prepared for each tour and event (Fall Family Festival, birthday parties, summer camps, etc.)

4. Collect data and maintain program records
• Prepare plant signs for garden
• Collect information for tour book
• Attend Beanstalk Committee meetings

5. Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications Areas of needed skills & knowledge:
• Vegetable Gardening/Horticulture
• General office/computer skills
• Record keeping and organizational skills
• Ability to work with children and adults

Qualifications/Experience
• College degree in relevant field (horticulture, education, nutrition, community development social work etc.) helpful, but not required
• Gardening experience
• Experience working with low-income persons
• Experience working with volunteers

Yep, that's what I want to do when I retire. Anyway today, I love my flowers, plants and working in the soil. All I can think about after this post is a song from Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment