My Family

My Family
This is my family minus Jeremy. He lives in California. As my son Joshua (the one in camo) said, "Aren't we a good looking bunch"!!! Yes we are!!!
CURRENT MOON

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Don't get me started!!!



<br />

DAY 22

Last night I was talking to my friend Patsey via Instant Messaging on Facebook and I told her I was starting to run out of topics to say I am thankful for and she reminded me of so many things that I am thankful for that I didn't even consider, or had forgotten about. I have to say that I am thankful for the government programs that made my life possible as it is
today. When I was pregnant with Josh, I barely had a proverbial "pot to piss in". I worked part time as a waitress/cook at a little drive-in in Urich MO. I also worked at the grocery store there in town as a cashier/stocker/butcher, anything else needed in the store to keep it running. Not only those two part time jobs but also worked full time in Clinton MO at the then Holiday Inn. It was brand new and the place to be at the time. So two part time jobs and one full time job plus a new mama. Josh's dad and I had been in a serious motorcycle wreck and he couldn't work full time yet. I had to be on WIC, food stamps, Medicaid and anything else that could keep our heat on in the winter. Plus was able to keep healthy myself with all my Well Woman Exams and birth control. Josh had all his immunizations through the county health department and after I left his dad and decided I needed to learn another trade to be able to give my baby boy a good life, I applied for the Pell Grant so I could go to college and learn, not only how to use a computer but also be able to become eligible for a different career. During all this I lived in low income apartments in Garden City MO so I could live in an affordable housing situation. Did I just go to school and live off the state??? No!!! I worked and usually full time jobs. One year I worked at a nursing home as a cook and made sure my days off were Tuesday and Thursdays so I could go to school full time during that time.

Was I generational poor??? Maybe, I grew up poor but didn't know it because most of the children I grew up with were all poor too. We didn't know any better. Were there rich kids in our community, yes....there is in any community but that was okay too. My mom taught me the value of the dollar and that money doesn't grow on trees. I always say no matter how tough the economy gets, I know how to save. I know how to can my vegetables, I know how to cook, I can sew, mend, stitch, iron, rewash aluminum foil and also Ziploc bags!!!

I am a product of a mother that raised children in the depression. I like to consider myself situational poor. I was poor because of a situation I had been thrown in. Josh's dad made good money in a factory job and I made fairly good money too as a waitress but the motorcycle wreck screeched all that to a halt. Then I left Josh's dad and that put me in a complete
different situation.

So when you see someone using food stamps, or using WIC coupons, or have what you consider to many children, think to yourself instead. I wonder what that woman's story is. I wonder what life has handed her in this tight economy and how this must make her feel using those coupons to put food in those babies mouths.

I remember one Christmas, which was the hardest time for me because I always wanted the best for Josh, I had him at the DayCare in Garden City and yes, that was another government program I took advantage of so I could afford to go to work!!! Anyway they had a box of groceries waiting for me when I went to pick up Josh. I felt guilty for taking it but was so
thankful too. It meant so much to me and I will always remember Pam Larcom as an extremely caring woman for doing that for me. Every little bit helps, no matter what you have. That is one of the reasons why I always give canned goods when food pantries are asking for them and no, I never give vegetables. People cannot live off vegetables alone. I give canned
meats like tuna, salmon, things that are good for them. I also give peanut butter. I don't give processed foods at all. That isn't good for anyone. Good gosh, if you can't afford something that is nutritious for people that cannot afford it themselves then maybe you need to be living off the food pantry yourself.

If it hadn't been for the government programs I wouldn't be able to do what I do today and Josh wouldn't have been able to grow up as the healthy young man he is either. Individuals that think this is the ruination of the United States need a reality check. And those that think we need to get rid of Planned Parenthood and birth control programs for low income individuals REALLY need a reality check. Yes, lets do get rid of Planned Parenthood so we can find more dead babies in dumpsters, bus station terminal trashcans and also let these woman find other ways to get rid of this fetus.

Am I for abortion, no. I would never, ever in my entire life consider an abortion. No matter what the case is. I do not believe you should have abortions for birth control measures but I believe it is the individuals choice. Not yours. It is between them and God. That brings a whole new issue with me. Would I counsel the individual, yes. Would I tell her she could not do this. No. Would I tell her it is in her best interest not to do this. Yes. Grrr.

Another one of my many gripes. Do you know what low income couples are doing today because they cannot afford birth control. It's appalling but true. This statement may make you never read my blogs again and I pray not because I want you to stay with me, but these people are having unprotected anal sex. OUCH!!!

We need these programs to help the situational poor. PERIOD!!!

Okay, I am now stepping down off my soap box. I get on this subject and sometimes I am out of control. Any hoots, we had my co-workers retirement party today and it was the bomb!!! That's good, not bad. Lots and lots of people attended it and it was so much fun seeing everyone. I had everyone introduce themselves, where they work and how they met him and to give a comment or memory of him. He really, really enjoyed it and I am so glad. He is a special man in my eyes and his wife is awesome. Good, good people.

Josh just left this evening. He came by to get something to eat, typical Josh, and bless us with his presence. LOL. Love that kid. Not sure when Brandon is coming home but it will be within the next two days. Thursday is his birthday and he isn't going to miss that. Last year I made him a cake and all and he loved it. Got the stuff together now to whip up
another one. We will have his birthday dinner probably Saturday or Sunday.

Also found out my granddaughter, Madison will be here tomorrow and stay until probably Sunday. She is such a delight. Her daddy is Josh also and she lives over by St. Louis. We haven't seen her since June and we all are having Madison withdrawal. Gotta have our Madison fix!!! LOL.

Well, I will post more tomorrow night and I promise I won't get so radical as I did tonight. Public Health is something that is near and dear to my heart and I believe everyone should work within that field at least once in their lives and see how the real world lives. It's nothing like your life, believe me when I say that.

Good night everyone.



4 comments:

  1. Glenda, you are a wonderful and passionate/compassionate person, who is not afraid in sharing your beliefs and thoughts. I know that God is pleased....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preach on GG!!! RADICAL??? NO, I would say REAL!!!!! I would say you were totally IN control while on your soapbox! GREAT BLOG!!! I, fortunately, have not had to use most of the programs you have mentioned but know and are related to ones that have had to use them. Paula and I always say when we see somebody in a bad situation, "there, but for the grace of God, go I." You never know what situation may occur that would put you in that very same predicament. One moment everything is great and in the blink of an eye it is all gone. People try to get all high and mighty and what they are really doing is just helping bring somebody down. I believe that is a mortal sin! Thank you for letting me borrow your soapbox. You can have it back now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenda, get on your soapbox more often. People that have never been in the healthcare field have no inkling of what the reality of many situations are ....girl excellent blog and glad to read your story...you humble me...

    ReplyDelete