With the cold weather that has blown in today and this week, I am thankful for a thermostat on the wall to make it warmer in my house or cooler. Whichever I prefer. I have had wood heat before and it is nice but is such hard work. Plus when you wake up in the morning and the fire has gone out it is very, very cold. I love my central heat and central air. I remember growing up out in the country and we heated with a wood stove. It was in the kitchen and since we didn't have indoor plumbing that was were you took you bathes. Mom would heat the water up on the kitchen stove because we did have a regular kitchen range fueled by the propane tank out back. Just no furnace. Sometimes in the morning there would be frost on the windows because it was so cold outside.
My dad spent most of my life as either a cook in a restaurant, or a construction worker and even one time he leased the Skelley Station in Osceola but the last two years of his life he was nominated as the St. Clair County Clerk. Woo Hoo. We were in the money then!!! We got a furnace for the house, wall to wall carpet and paneling on the living room walls. I remember when we got the furnace I was like, I don't understand at all!!! It's so much colder then with the other heat. But my body got use to it and all was fine. We'd gotten indoor plumbing a couple years before but the furnace was the last thing he bought new before he passed away. When mom and I moved to town, we had one of those floor furnace's in our house. Do you remember those? If you stood on it it could melt the soles of your shoes in the grid and there was no way you would stand on it barefoot, it would burn your feet.
I use to walk to and from school because I only lived about 5 blocks away and in the winter time it was cold walking. No matter what the element was, I had to walk because alot of times mom would be at work when I got out of school. I couldn't wait to get home and straddle that floor furnace. It was so warm and would warm you up in nothing flat.
That brings back another memory. Like I said, we lived in town and I didn't live that far from school. I never missed a basketball game and was in the Pep Club. Never a cheerleader or a player but I was in the Pep Club cheering our team on like nobodys business!!! Mom always had me invite the country kids to our house so they could call their parents when the bus came in town so the parents could drive in and pick them up at our house. That way the parents didn't have to wait down at the school because we never knew for sure what time the bus would get in town. My mom always had hamburgers and french fries ready for everyone along with Snicker bars.
She worked at the Commercial Cafe in Osceola and then again at the Corner Cafe in Lowry and would buy boxes of Snicker's bars to just have. That Christene Thompson was something else. I think that is why I love to feed people too. If I can't do anything else, I can feed people.
Today, my niece Christie commented on my Facebook page that she read my blog post on when she taught me to drive a clutch and she reminded me of when we were driving in the back yard of our house in Lowry and one of us (we can't remember which) hit the propane tank. I can't believe she had us driving the Chevy Nova in the back yard at our house. The yard wasn't that big!!! What was she thinking I would learn, how to parellel park!!! LOL.
That is one of the things I like about posting this stuff, I get to remember stuff and it gives my friends and family remember stuff. I was reading tonight how to put up a geneology blog page. A couple years ago I was hot in heavy on finding stuff on my dad's side of the family along with mom's. I had it all the way to the 1700's on dad's. I was pumped and had backed it up on a CD. Well my computer crashed and I didn't have the program anymore that I was saving the genealogy stuff on and got really discouraged but plan to get back into it. I think I will do a blog one and see how that goes. Not on this one though, on a different one.
I haven't done to much with the webpage design the last couple of days on here. No reason, I just do better when I am home alone in Springfield doing stuff. I may do something this week while I am home but just posting is good enough for me right now. I have been playing with the design of the blog though. I wish I could figure out how you guys can comment on here but hmmmm. May change to a different blog site but want to make sure I can do it with ease. LOL. I have been looking at other blogs and people have moved their blogs to other sites and just put their new address on their old blog. No biggie though, it's not like I am going to be doing that in the next week or two. I have the holidays to get through. Maybe after the first of the year.
Well guys, all I can say is stay warm tonight if you are in the MidWest because it is cold, cold, cold. It's okay though. I still love this time of the year. I love my changing of the seasons.
Peace, Love and Tranquility to All
...glenda
We had a coal stove until I was about 8. Remember Dad going out at night carrying 2 big empty buckets and coming back in from the coal pile with both buckets full. Then they got a Warm Morning propane heater that went in the same spot where the coal stove was at. We too had a propane kitchen stove all along and Mom and Dad would heat water on it to pour into the bathtub so we could have a hot bath. That was the case until I was about 6. That was when we got indoor plumbing so we didn't have to use the outhouse anymore and also got a hot water heater.
ReplyDeleteGlenda, such a good blog, brought back a lot of memories from my childhood also...look forward to your blogs girl!
ReplyDelete