This is a topic I feel so strongly about. I try to buy American made when ever possible but it is something that takes a lot of work and also, can be more expensive. Looking up on the web there are several sites that will direct you to American Made. http://madeinusaforever.com/ http://www.americansworking.com/ and http://www.madeinusa.org/ are just a few. When I was thinking about my other blog I was like, I could do tabs at the top and do one directly to American Made, another one on a gardening topic that I love and then another one on the Swedish weaving. Hmmm. Food for thought.
Today is the 42nd anniversary of the Kent State Shooting. May 4, 1970 at 12:24pm EST. I remember when this happened and the news media stories about it. Such a tragedy for our era. For those of you to young to remember and those of you that remember but can't recall the actual protest, the students had been protesting against the American invasion of Cambodia, which President Richard Nixon announced in a television address on April 30. The Ohio National Guard opened fire on the protesters, unloading 67 rounds in 13 seconds. This action killed 4 unarmed students and wounded 9, one suffering permanent paralysis. Some of the wounded students were just walking by or watching the protest from afar.
There had been lots of turmoil around the town after Nixon's announcement, burning of draft cards, one student even burned the Constitution. Can you imagine the chaos that must have taken place though during this massacre. Watching the Ohio National Guard taking a knee and opening fire??? A photographer captured a picture that has went down in history and shows some of the anguish that took place. The young girl kneeling next to a young man that was killed. The story behind this young lady, Mary Ann Vecchio, was that she was a 14 year old runaway just passing through this town. The young man she is kneeling next to was Jeffrey Miller. Story has it that her parents saw this picture and were able to get her and bring her home.
Casualties taken from Wikipedia
Killed (and approximate distance from the National Guard):
- Jeffrey Glenn Miller; age 20; 265 ft (81 m) shot through the mouth; killed instantly
- Allison B. Krause; age 19; 343 ft (105 m) fatal left chest wound; died later that day
- William Knox Schroeder; age 19; 382 ft (116 m) fatal chest wound; died almost an hour later in a hospital while undergoing surgery
- Sandra Lee Scheuer; age 20; 390 ft (120 m) fatal neck wound; died a few minutes later from loss of blood
Wounded (and approximate distance from the National Guard):
- Joseph Lewis Jr.; 71 ft (22 m); hit twice in the right abdomen and left lower leg
- John R. Cleary; 110 ft (34 m); upper left chest wound
- Thomas Mark Grace; 225 ft (69 m); struck in left ankle
- Alan Michael Canfora; 225 ft (69 m); hit in his right wrist
- Dean R. Kahler; 300 ft (91 m); back wound fracturing the vertebrae, permanently paralyzed from the chest down
- Douglas Alan Wrentmore; 329 ft (100 m); hit in his right knee
- James Dennis Russell; 375 ft (114 m); hit in his right thigh from a bullet and in the right forehead by birdshot, both wounds minor
- Robert Follis Stamps; 495 ft (151 m); hit in his right buttock
- Donald Scott MacKenzie; 750 ft (230 m); neck wound
I love reading and remembering American history. Especially the part that I grew up in. The 60's and 70's was an era of redefining our equality. Pretty cool time to be a part of.
With that all said I am going to close with another statement that is something very dear to me. I have been judged and profiled in the past so this is very dear to my heart. When I was raising my son, going to college and working fulltime, I was on different government subsidized programs to help me get where I am today. If it hadn't been for assistance with childcare, rent, health insurance and food I am not sure we could have made it. I wish I had a dime everytime I went to the cash register to pay for our food with WIC coupons or food stamps that someone didn't give us a snide remark or a look. Or the times I didn't have enough money to pay my utility bills and would have to go ask for assistance, actually crying because the lady was harsh with me and I had a toddler on my lap. People like that will get their just rewards someway, some how but it doesn't help in the moment. Then there are those that helped us and I can remember their face, their actions and their warm hearts today, 20+ years later. Sometimes i wonder where they are or what they are doing. If they are still alive. I think that is why I love my job so much because I feel I am repaying them for helping me in my tough time in my life. Be nice people, we aren't on here for a long time and you really don't have a clue what someone is going through or what they have gone through.
Talk to you guys later!!! Love you all, even the haters!!!



You hit one of the topics that I am also extremely passionate about. So many people either look only at the negative side or just plain don't have a heart.
ReplyDeleteAll I can say about that subject is GRRRRRR!!! And not a Tigger GRRRR either.
DeleteWhat a dear blog!
ReplyDeleteThank you Miss Paula. I hope you are feeling better with every day!!!
Delete