Wow, the Health Fair today in Vienna MO was outstanding. It is a really small town of approximately 600 and some. There is a pharmacy in the town called Sinks Pharmacy and they have this health fair every year. Different agencies come that serve the community and have tables with literature and free items. The Hospice booth was giving free 5 minute neck massages that were wonderful, someone else was giving foot massages too. With our booth they either want to talk to you or walk away without making eye contact. There were some touching moments, a WWII Veteran (his hat said Korea) came up to me and asked what our booth was and I told him. His eyes fixed on mine and he told me, "We buried one of my boys in the 80's from HIV. He's out at the cemetery outside of town." I told him I was so very sorry and he looked at me again and goes, "He put the siding on the barn before he died." I didn't know whether to cry or laugh. He then goes, "God bless you for what you do." It just broke your heart. He then caught up with his wife and they had their little bags full of goodies that they had gotten from the tables.
Another lady that was about my age came up and told me the story of how they lost her brother to AIDS in the 80's also. That was the time that it was such a stigma and people were so stupid about it. She said he lived in Los Angeles so her and her mom flew out there to be with him. She said that the two of them would go from room to room to be with some of the young men because their families wouldn't have anything to do with them. So, so sad. She also said that a Dr. from the Midwest that her mom went to quit being her Dr. because of her brother. She said he told her mom he couldn't be her Dr. any more. People's ignorance makes me so mad and unfortunately it is still there. People educate yourselves and learn as much as you can about things before you start acting like you know what the heck is going on. My heart just melts for these people that have been through what they have been through. I had several people pat me on the hand and bless me for the work I do. That's awesome.
I would say there were close to 200 people there today. It was outstanding and since the weather was so much better I believe it brought them out in larger crowds. Needless to say, it was fun.
I drove approximately 230 some miles today. Vienna is about 30 miles north of Rolla MO but the neat part is that you go through part of the Mark Twain National Forest. Man, that is some pretty land and I stopped at a scenic vista on the way back. My battery was dead so no good pictures were taken but did take some with my camera. It was fun. As I was looking over the vista at miles and miles of rolling hills and trees I was thinking about something my friend Jennifer once said. You beach bums can have that sand down the crack of your butts and smelly, smelly ocean but give me mountains and trees any day!!! I love country and always will.
Well, going to sign off. It is late and my long weekend awaits me just around the corner. I can't wait. I love Memorial Weekend. Talk to you guys later.

What a great satisfying blog tonight, you make such a difference...
ReplyDelete