As I sit here reminising over the last year, it was really a pretty good year. On January 1, 2011 I had a party for all my family and friends to celebrate the most important event of my life. My marriage to my soulmate. Everything was pretty simple, I even had my friend Donna cater the event with homemade, pan fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, rolls, pot of blackeyed peas with ham and cornbread (it was New Years Day) and as I knew, the food was a hit. Donna Burton rocks and I will be the first to sing that song!!! Donna's Diner is where it's at. Just ask me and I can hook you up.
Then I started my position down in Springfield on the 15th. It was a scary move but one I needed to do to keep my sanity. It was leaving fast and I was very, very stressed where I was at. It was a positive move and there are alot of good people down there. It is hard to explain because I met some really good people up in the Northwest section of the State but the people in the Southwest section are more your rural way of thinking. Not meaning to say this with contempt or anything. It's just such a nice change and being in the middle of the bible belt isn't bad, you just have to try not and cuss as much. :o) Growing up in the area that I grew up I can relate to this population better. Of course I am a chameleon though, I can blend into any type of crowd. I benefit that gift from all the years of restaurant work and growing up in restaurants when I was a little girl. I use to say the crap I'd do for a quarter when I was waiting tables. LOL.
Then everything was pretty even keeled until a good friend of mine passed away. It was a kick in the belly because we didn't even know that she was sick. Faye Carter is who it was and we all miss her very much. God took away another angel whose work was finished on this earth. She had to be one of the nicest people around and such a joy to be around. We went to school together and she was a fine product of the graduating class of 1974. We have lost 4 students at this time and we were a small class of 22. Even though we were the largest class to have graduated from there. The one under us had like 13 or so and the one before us had like 9. We grew up in an awesome era in an awesome town. We have stayed close friends all these years and have a strong bond, underclassmen or upperclassmen. It doesn't matter.
Then we had the All-School reunion, an event I hardly ever miss. I love going and see everyone that ever graduated from Lowry. Well this year I got finagled into being Prez of this hear organization. It's okay because there really isn't much work involved. We are going to make it more streamlined though and maybe send invitations out via e-mail.
We took the boys on vacation this year and went to Memphis. Spent Labor Day weekend there and it was wonderful. I found a cabin outside of Memphis on a lake, on the Arkansas side, only 30 minutes from Memphis. The first night we were there we went into Memphis and bought some groceries. Fruit, sandwich makings, chips, pop, water and the guys bought junk. Imagine that, thank goodness for me. That morning we woke up, ate and took a ride around into small towns close to the cabin. Then headed into Memphis to Beale Street and then that evening went to Tunica and gambled a little. It was so much fun. I spent $20 and had an extra $10 if I felt froggy and that 20 kept me busy for a little over an hour. The guys spent more but they are high rollers. LOL. Then we went back to the cabin and played some gin rummy.
Next day we went and rode the riverboat. We went down the Mississippi and the guide talked about the history of Memphis and the Mississippi. It was really cool too, then we went to Sun Records and the boys loved that!!! We didn't go tour Elvis' mansion, it was $70 a person. We think maybe because it was Labor Day weekend but we instead stood outside the gates and took pictures. It was really neat too. Then we went and ate some Memphis barbeque. Yummy, yum, yum. It was fantastic. Went home played a final game of rummy and got up and went home the next day. It was great.
Terry and I went to our first NASCAR race this year and both of us enjoyed it immensly. A friend of mine's friend had free tickets. We went into the in-field and low and behold Matthew McConaughey walked right past Terry. He was in such shock it took him a while to tell us and Matthew had walked past us. We got to see the back of him but Terry said they made eye contact and Matthew's was like "Crap, this guy recognizes me." Jimmy Johnson ended up winning the race and now my husband not only loves baseball and football, he's started watching NASCAR!!! LOL.
We went and saw Boz Scaggs and Michael McDonald this year too. I have always LOVED Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs was always okay but now I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Boz Scaggs. He did an awesome job and him and Michael got on the stage and sang together. It was awesome. I really enjoy concerts at Starlight. The sound is so good and each one we have been to the weather has been good.
Halloween was fun. We live next to apartment buildings and we get lots of children. They are so stinking cute but once the teenagers start coming around we turn the lights off.
Had a good Thanksgiving with Terry's family and the boys. I was expecting around 11-12, 9 came and I fixed enough food for 109!!! It was all good though and everyone enjoyed it all.
Then we had my family Christmas and we have so much fun with that. We do the Chinese give away thing and everyone brought appetizers and we ate, laughed, visited and then went home. Then there was the Christmas with just Terry and I and the boys. They wanted to finish up the rummy domination that Terry and I had over them. Well Brandon beat the pants off all three of us and posted the score on the refridgerator. LOL. Had a good time and had the annual Christmas breakfast and if you read previous posts you know exactly what happened during that trauma!!! Going to do it a little different next year. To say the least.
For the final day of the year my girlfriend and I went shopping in Lee's Summit, Independence and Belton. We always have a good time when we hang out and always go to Dixon Chili to gorge on chili. I don't know what it is about Dixon's Chili but it is so dang good. President Truman use to go to Dixon's all the time. On the window it says it has been open since 1919. I told Carole, my friend, do you realize that in 7 years they will be open for 100 years and that 1919 is a long time but it is something we've always heard about through our life. I mean my dad was born in 1913 and mom was born in 1915. I don't know, things like that just fascinate me and make me realize I am getting older.
We came home and Terry and I have just been sitting around not doing much. Ringing in the New Year is something that we usually do sound asleep. LOL. I will probably watch Saturday Night Live tonight. That show, I took a break from for a while but those people they have on now crack me up!!! There has been some awesome actors come out of that cast.
Quoting my friend Jennifer about the coming New Year,
"I personally expect great things within next year and although I'm not sure what opportunities I will be presented with, I do not intend on missing out on any of them, even if it means going outside of my comfort zone - let's get this party started!!!"
Bring it on 2012, I can't wait!!! Happy New Year friends and family. Be safe, I love you all.
Great rendition of your past year and hopefully you get your party started and it keeps going full force for all your wants and needs of 2012! Happy New Years!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a very busy year. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
ReplyDelete