My Family

My Family
This is my family minus Jeremy. He lives in California. As my son Joshua (the one in camo) said, "Aren't we a good looking bunch"!!! Yes we are!!!
CURRENT MOON

Friday, December 16, 2011

Is it Really Funny???



<br />

Before I start tonights blog I want to make sure you guys read the blog under the joke blog I posted last night. I posted my regular blog and then someone posted that joke and I thought it was hilarious so I posted it as a blog post. Then I realized that it was posted on top of my regular nightly blog. Anyway, I just wanted to bring that to your attention in case you missed last nights blog.

It was an absolutely beautiful day, sun shining but cold, cold, cold. I realize that this is just part of the season change that I love in this fair State but I actually prefer warm over cold. Sometimes it takes me so long to warm up but am thankful I have a home to get warm in and have proper clothing. There was a time I didn't and it wasn't fun at all. I lived in Wyoming in 1980 or 1981 and was not use to the cold. Plus didn't really have proper clothing. I do remember how neat it was when you would walk across the parking lot and the snow was powder dry and would just push away from your feet. It was pretty cool, the part that wasn't cool was the cold weather. I left in February though and came home to Missouri never to return.

We've been watching a Walton's marithon tonight. I always loved that show. When that show was in it's hayday I was traveling around the United States living in differents states. The Walton's would bring me back to where I grew up in Lowry City. The Baldwin Sisters would remind me of the neighbors up the road, Lesta and Margaret Akers. They didn't do moonshine but they were sisters that lived on their parents farm. Lesta taught my dad in the one room school house, Landaker and up until she died she would tell me stories of when she taught my dad. Margaret, she worked at the St. Clair County Library and drove the bookmobile. They were awesome ladies and had some of the most beautiful flowers in their yard.

Those two awesome ladies lived across the road from Mr. and Mrs. White. I never did know their names, they were always Mr. and Mrs. White. They farmed with horses, had two Clydesdale horses. Now remember, my memories come from the late 50's, early 60's. Mom and I would stop at their house sometimes and the one thing that stands out in mind the most would have to be their rain barrel. We didn't have one and I use to think it was so cool and sneak around to where it stood and just look at it.

It's funny what you remember about people when you were a child. Then on top of the big hill (and it's still a big hill) Roy and Zoe Copenhaver. We shared the party line with them and Zoe was a talker. It was harder than all get out to get on the phone when she was on. Mom and dad would play cards in the winter time and we would go to each neighbor's homes. They'd play at Flay and Dimple Snyders, Herb and Genevia Duvall and Roy and Zoe. Sometimes the Eddleman's would play cards with them too. They would go to each others houses and I was always the only child, because everyone else had grown up children. See, my brother was 18 years older then me and my sister was 21 years older. So mom and dad were about the same age as the people that were their friends and none of them had children my age but the women would always try to find something for me to do. I'd always watch TV but I would bring stuff to do. I'd make scrapbooks out of pictures from a magazine or paste a colage on a piece of posterboard. It was all cool, boring at times but lots of memories.

We had a little country store too, called Damascus. Art and Margaret Mitchell ran it. I use to ride my bicycle in the summer time there. I told a friend one time that it was about 5 miles to the store so we clocked it and it was only a couple of miles. LOL. There were hills and all to ride and during the hot summertime it was quite a hall but we'd jump at the opportunity to ride. Mom never let me do it alone but if there was someone to go with me, she'd allow it. I think about it now and I am like....WAS SHE NUTS!!!! I can't believe the stuff she let me do as a child and as a teenager. She should have drowned me at birth!!!

It's funny, Terry's sister Sheila is in the hospital in Appleton City MO. Let me rephrase that, it's not funny she's in the hospital and seriously I'm not even sure what is funny. Anyway, for those of you that know nothing about the town, it is extremely small, maybe population of 400 and they have always had a little hospital. It had been years since I had been there and I thought it was still over by the railroad tracks. I pulled up and thought, hmmmm. This doesn't look like a hospital anymore but I got out and went to the door. There was a doorbell and I was like, nope, that isn't a hospital so I got in my car and drove down an alley and there were some ladies standing outside and I asked them where the hospital was and they proceeded to tell me. I drove over there and was totally impressed. It is such a nice little hospital for a rural community and saw the wall of doctor's and was equally impressed. I know the state of MO has a program that will pay physicians student loans if they serve in an underpriviledged area and St. Clair County would meet that criteria.

There was a little volunteer lady sitting at the front desk and I walked past the chapel and they had it decorated as a little snow village with the nativity scene on top of a snowy hill. The entire room was decorated as a village. Of course the room was about the size of my laundry room, except my laundry room might be a little bigger. LOL. Sheila said the food was really, really good. I told her they probably don't have a lot of people in there and I could run over and whip her up something. Anyway I was very impressed with the hospital. It was very nice.

Well, not sure what tomorrow is going to bring forth. Might do some Christmas shopping and might not. We will just have to wait and see. Only have a couple more things to buy and plan on getting it at Kohl's or I am going to have to just wait until one day next week and run and pick it up in Springfield. I hate shopping on the weekend this close to Christmas. Can I say cluster!!!

Anyway, good night everyone. Talk to you tomorrow.





1 comment:

  1. Has Appleton City really gotten that small? They were always quite a bit bigger than Lowry when we were growing up. Or at least that is how I perceived the town. Mom took me to a dentist that practiced there.

    ReplyDelete