Another day closer to retirement. I use to say that all the time but don't find myself saying that as much now. I really, really, really miss my husband during the week but I really, really, really like working the area and the population that I work in the Southwest section. Today I went and talked to a lady that is very low functioning. Bless her heart. She has been postive for 20 years now and is in her upper 40's, early 50's and went to the health department to test for HIV. Did not tell the nurse she was positive and the nurse drew her blood. Well, that is an offense but it was her first so I went to talk to her. She was extremely embarrassed. I asked her why she tested and she thought maybe she'd turned negative because her daughter is negative that she gave birth to when she found out she was positive 20 years ago. I explained to her that once positive always positive and that she HAS to tell the nurse that she is positive. She goes "But she wouldn't test me if I told her that." I said true, but it is the law that you tell anyone that draws your blood.
She started to cry and the soft hearted person I am I sat there and talked with her. All she wanted was that hope that maybe she was negative after all this time. She was so disappointed. :o(
I gave her my card and told her that next time to call me. She goes, "They've got that kit you can buy at the store, don't they?" I said yes but think they are quite expensive. You could tell she didn't have alot of money. She goes yeah, my luck they probably cost around 50-100 dollars. I said I don't know. Then I proceeded to say, they are probably around the same price as a home pregnancy test and she goes, yeah those are really expensive. I think they're around $10-$15. Bless her heart. Such a simple life she lives but she wants what we all do. A long healthy life. She can't help it if her daughters dad infected her 20 years ago and she didn't know he was positive. She said when she found out she was positive the only thing that has kept her alive were her children, a son and daughter. She said her son was 24 and her daughter is 19. You could tell she loved her kids because her eyes would sparkle when she would talk about them. She said her son has two children and I said, not only do you have your son and daughter you also have them grandbabies. Her eyes lit up again only like a grandma's would. She was a good person and had alot of love, she just wanted the bad hand that life has handed to her reversed. Then she proceeded to tell me that her daughter can't have babies because she has a "baby uterus". Then worry came across her face and she explained to me about her daughters medical condition.
The nurse at the health department wanted me to yell at her and scold her for what she had done but I couldn't. I needed to explain to her what she did wrong and do it in a caring manner. She probably would have shut down if I would have done it and she didn't do this to be mean like alot of the people I talk to do. They are just heartless people and this woman wasn't. Needless to say, I come across a vast array of individuals!!!
Well, not alot happening right now. Can't think of anything to write about. I did get a few more Christmas presents taken care of. I'm going to sign off. Like I said, can't think of much to write about right now but will be more productive tomorrow night.
Sounded pretty productive to me! I think you were very productive with the interaction with this woman.
ReplyDelete