My Family

My Family
This is my family minus Jeremy. He lives in California. As my son Joshua (the one in camo) said, "Aren't we a good looking bunch"!!! Yes we are!!!
CURRENT MOON

Thursday, October 27, 2011

October 27, 2011

Well, I am home tonight and it is a Thursday night.  I am so happy though, I feel as if I have had a long week.  Lots of travel.  I had to go to Stockton today and draw a gentleman's blood to check him for Syphilis.  He is 60 years old.  He had went to the local doctor to get checked for STDs.  They hadn't done the correct test so I needed to go and redraw.  I asked the man if he had ever had syphilis before and he said yes, in the early 80s.  Upon checking he was correct but told him it was in his best interest to check and make sure he had not been reinfected.  He said he thought he might have been exposed in January.  Anyway we were talking and he was having a hard time remembering stuff.  He remembered the year he had syphilis, he remembered the primary lesion that you get in the beginning of syphilis but he couldn't remember if he had ever been treated.  Strange.  The shot is extremely painful.  It is one shot of penicillian 2.4 million units with a big long needle.  It usually hurts and they always remember the shot, no matter how long ago it was.  I am wondering if he ever got treated and if not he might be neurosyphilis.  He had some mental problems going on, not sure what or why.

Anyway, I know I have said it before but the trees were really pretty in Cedar County too.  That is El Dorado Springs and Stockton.  If you don't know where that is it is down around Osceola and Collins area.  Beautiful land. 

As I was in Stockton area I passed a Black Walnut factory and down the road there was a sign that said Walnuts Hulled here.  Reminded me when I was a little girl and every fall there was a hulling machine behind Greenwell's hatchery.  My mom, dad and I would go out in the pasture and pickup several gunny sacks of walnuts to take to town and sell to hullers.  I'm not sure how much money we got because I was little and didn't get a share of it but we would fill up the back of the pickup.  You would go into town and wait in line with others that were doing the same.  I followed a gentleman in Stockton today that had a trailer behind his truck and the trailer was loaded down with black walnuts. Brought back so many memories.

Last night after I posted, Johnny Foster, an old classmate and friend of mine from Lowry reminded me of some special memories of our years growing up in Lowry.  Lowry had a noon whistle that blew everyday except Sunday to let you know it was noon.  It blew from the City Hall which was also the firestation.  Clyde Keith was an icon from Lowry and worked at the City Hall.  A nice, nice man.  He was always so good to me and especially after dad passed away.  I worked a few summers at the City Hall helping with billing of the water bills and he was always there.  Such wonderful memories. 

Well, we are watching the World Series and think I will sign off so I can watch.  I hope Cardinals win, only because they are a MO team and I like to keep my allegiance to MO, but I do like Rangers too.  We're ahead right now but it is only the top of the 2nd.  Will talk more tomorrow. 

1 comment:

  1. The hulls behind the hatchery were long and deep. One time another boy (I can’t remember who) were playing in the hulls and what a mess we were when we got done. Every stitch of clothes I had on had to be thrown away. Needless to say, my parents were not happy! Sometime around 1970 the huller was moved to Dull’s Blacksmith Shop property. It was set up just to the southeast of the shop.
    When I was a kid I would draw up maps of Lowry City just for fun. Clyde Keith saw one of my maps and was pretty impressed. He had me work on the Lowry City Cemetary plot map one summer when I working NYC. One day I got called out of class during high school. Clyde had been using the backhoe to dig up a water or sewer line (don’t remember which) and he wanted me to plot out a map of where he had finally found it so he could file it away at City Hall for future reference.

    ReplyDelete